All Orbits, All Planets – Join us on our journey
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
A new role has emerged for the GNC Engineer II to design algorithms and implement flight-critical software for rocket systems that will deliver satellites to orbit. You will work with a talented team of engineers to develop, analyse, test and operate launch vehicles, and its subsystems, with the aim of ensuring highly reliable flight. Document and communicate across teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive, they represent examples of the work performed by this position. You will be required to perform other duties within your skills and abilities.
- Develop innovative Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) systems for launch vehicles. Support flight software qualification testing.
- Perform testing and analysis of GNC software, including hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) testing, Monte Carlo analysis and integration testing and unit testing.
- Assist in developing verification and validation procedures to ensure software products will meet system and subsystem requirements.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary launch vehicle trade-study investigations and design studies that define launch vehicle requirements and system architectures.
- Develop 6-DOF dynamics simulation models used for GNC systems analysis and validation.
- Analyse launch vehicle trajectories, flight stability and performance dispersions.
- Support post flight data review and analyses for the continuous improvement of predictions.
- Support launch vehicle ground test, launch and mission operations.
- Act as a mentor to junior engineers, where appropriate.
- Other duties as requested by Management.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s (B.S.) degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Aerospace / Aeronautical Engineering or relevant STEM degree.
- 3+ years’ experience with the design, implementation and test of GNC algorithms.
- Must be capable of obtaining and clearing a NV Level 1 Security Clearance.
Desired Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Proficient in MATLAB, SIMULINK and C++ software development.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and tuning GNC algorithms.
- Experience with control systems, orbital mechanics, classical dynamics, aerodynamics, sensors and actuators, modelling and simulation.
- Ability to solve complex problems with little to no supervision, as an individual or as a member of an integrated team.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability in time management, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
Teamwork / Leadership / Interpersonal
- Demonstrates leadership, teamwork and negotiating skills.
- Well-developed communication, interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven ability to prioritise and manage work demands and deliver outcomes.
- Self-motivated, results-oriented with a high level of attention to detail.
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety, quality assurance, continuous improvement and environmental management.
Policies and Procedures
All Gilmour Space policies and procedures form part of all Employees’ terms of engagement and position descriptions. Employees of Gilmour Space are to ensure compliance with all company policies and procedures as updated from time to time. On occasion you may be required to attend training on policies and procedures.
How to Apply:
You will be joining a team that is working together to achieve the unimaginable for human access to space. You will be encouraged to reach your highest potential through continuous learning and embracing change.
If you are a proactive team player with a passion for space and a desire to succeed, please apply now by clicking the apply button and including your resume and cover letter.
Gilmour Space Technologies is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.